Saturday, July 2, 2016

Week 2 MTC July 2

Bonjour ma Famille, et mes Amis!
I can't believe that I have been here for over a week! The MTC is
seriously so awesome, and super busy, and crazy, but awesome! So last
week actually all the new mission presidents and the general
authorities (like everybody) were here. We didn't get to see anyone,
but they took over 1M so we were eating out of the gym. This week
everything was back to its normal schedule. Taylor asked about the
food and its ehh.. I miss food at home and being able to make whatever
I wanted; here I basically live off the salad and wrap bar haha:) So
everyday is different because some days we have service or a
devotional, but I wanted to tell you what a basic day is like here. We
wake up at 6:30 and then go exercise for an hour. I like to go in the
main gym and then I can run around the track upstairs and use weight
machines. Then we come back shower and change and usually grab a sack
breakfast. Then it's an hour of personal study, an hour of companion
study, and then additional or language study for another hour. And
then we might have seminar about the gift of tongues or memorizing
scriptures. Then we go to lunch for half an hour, and after we teach
our investigator. The whole district takes turns teaching for three
hours so while we are waiting we do TALL which is language study on
the computers or we just memorize and practice. Then there might be an
hour more of study until 5:15 and then we go to dinner for an hour.
Then we come back and have class till 9, then we plan for half an hour
and head back to the room, and are in bed at 10:30.
I'm still getting used to following someone else's schedule, but I
really am learning a lot. So the investigator we have been teaching
will actually become one of our teachers today! We have taught her
almost every day last week (5 lessons). She only spoke French with us,
and in the beginning I had to write down everything I was going to
say. Now though I only need to write down bullet points and use my
phrases book for a few points in the lesson. I can talk with her, and
testify, and answer her questions all on my own! Some of the lessons
have been a little hard, but usually they are so good. The gift of
tongues is so real, but it doesn't hit all at once for me it works a
lot like the way learning a language is. It comes slowly and you have
to work really hard for the spirit to help you! I know that French
will come and when I realize it's only been a week I realize how much
I have learned. I think the biggest thing that helps is SYL or speak
your language, or actually how we say it is PVL (parle votre langue).
It's hard to do, but my and my companion try to replace any words we
can with French. I love her so much, and it's great because she is
pretty good at French so I get to ask her lots and lots of questions:)
My teacher is frere Kellet and he has been so awesome teaching us
French, he went to the French Paris mission. but he is going on a
vacation for two weeks so we get a sub next week so it will be
interesting to see how that is! He told us that the French people
don't let people in very easily and they put a lot of distance between
themselves and strangers. BUT once you they understand that you care
about them, they will always be your friend and keep you close. AHH I
am so excited to go and serve the French people! I can not wait to
teach them about the love their Heavenly Father has for them, and how
much joy this gospel brings! I have surprised by myself by how much I
have been able to do I mean I am outgoing and can talk to people in
classes, and I can't wait to go and talk to people on the street, in
the metro, and of course in their homes in France! It will just be
good for me to get a little bit more French down first. I absolute
love my district, especially the soeurs in it, we laugh a lot! There
were a lot of funny moments this week, so one day me and Soeur Wilde
were getting a drink and a girl came up to us and asked us where we
were going. I told her "oh we are just going to choir practice." And
then she said "no, I meant like where are you going on your mission."
And then another great moment of mine Frere Kellet was teaching us how
to pronounce Saint-Esprit (the Holy Ghost) and he wrote the words
Santa Spree on the board and I thought that was how your were supposed
to pronounce it. So I pointed it out and said "see Soeur Wilde, I told
you." As I said that he drew a huge x through it because that is not
how it is pronounced. Haha Soeur Wilde and Schnaus and my collegue
Soeur Robinson laugh at me a lot! I love them though I call them Fou
Fou a lot (which means crazy in French!)
We have a lot of fun, and sometimes my district is not very focused
when we need to be. But if they are getting to crazy I can kind of
tune it out and study my French. It's all good though, because I am
learning the balance between fun and working hard. I have though a lot
this week about how lucky I am to be a part of this work, and I am
very thankful that Heavenly Father is allowing me to go and serve the
people of France. Every time I have a hard day I remember that this
training is not for me, it is for them so I need to work as hard as I
can. I was able to watch a devotional Sunday night called the
Character of Christ by Elder Bednar, it was so good. He said that the
character of Christ is turning out and serving others when naturally
we want to think of ourselves. This is one of the goals I have on my
mission to completely strengthen my conversion in Christ by trying to
become like him. This week I want to challenge you to think of someone
way you can emulate the character of Christ, and evaluate how deeply
you are converted to him! I love you all so much, I can feel the
strength of your prayers and it really does help! I promise I am going
to always do my best because I know I have the best rooting for me!
I love you all so much!
Je vous amie!
Soeur Soffe.
The soeurs in my district
This is my whole district!



Me and my collegue (companion)

My room mates

Obligatory map picture

No comments:

Post a Comment